Michael Mannell qualified as a solicitor in 1988. He has previously worked as a Property, Immigration and Nationality, Family and Charity lawyer, which has given him unique and varied experience and gained him understanding in many aspects when dealing with large, complex, multi-jurisdictional and religious probates. Michael has specialised in Private Client work for the past 15 years and covers the following areas:
Wills and Probate
- Drafting both simple and complex wills to fit the needs of the client, taking into account any tax consequences.
- Acting for British and international clients on UK estates where the deceased left a will, or where there was no will (intestacy)
- Working with partners in the firm in administering assets and investments, such as: commercial and residential properties; life policies; pensions; stocks and shares; UK, offshore and Swiss bank accounts.
- Acting for estates with global assets, in places such as the US, France, Switzerland, Channel Islands, Panama, and Armenia. He has particular experience with countries in the Middle East, including Iran, Lebanon, Dubai and Iraq.
- Working with specialists and lawyers in foreign jurisdictions, including Sharia law and specific customary law.
Michael particularly enjoys the complex, challenging, multi-jurisdictional and religious aspects in the administration of estates.
- Advises on all personal taxation, including: Income Tax, Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Stamp Duty Land Tax.
- Advises high net worth clients, UK resident and non-UK domiciled individuals.
- Assists on establishing non-domicile and residence status.
- Acts on HMRC investigations and preparing disclosure reports for clients to settle their affairs.
- Tax planning advice.
- Assisting clients in establishing offshore trusts and offshore companies
- Advising on tax consequences.
- Working with the offshore administrators, directors and trustees in many jurisdictions, including: Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Panama, Gibraltar and the Caribbean.
Michael is married to Lorraine who has a PhD in psychology and works for the NHS as a clinical psychologist. She also teaches at various universities. They have two adult sons.