Our Pricing: Probate
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets.
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets. We will handle the full process for you.
As part of our service we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
The range of costs given below is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 2 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 1-4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
- The estate consists of UK assets only
The hourly rate charged will range from £170 for an assistant solicitor to £275 for a partner.
We anticipate an estate of this kind will take between 15 and 45 hours work. The total costs estimated will range from £3,000 – £9,000 plus VAT (at 20%) and disbursements. The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are 4 beneficiaries, a property and 2 bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Disbursements are charged separately.
- Probate application fee of £155
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
- £200-£300 for statutory advertisements in The London Gazette and a local newspaper – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £0.50 (1 per asset usually).
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
- If Inheritance Tax and Income Tax is payable there will also be additional costs for preparing the tax returns and paying the tax.
We will provide you with an estimate of costs for the particular estate once we know the likely assets and liabilities involved.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within the range above are dealt with within 6-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 3-6 months. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2-4 months. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally take 1-2 months.